500gm pork mince
500g veal mince
Large carrot, fine dices
Large celery stalk, finely diced
Onion, finely diced
2 bottles of Passata Sauce (homemade or from the grocery store)
- Put some olive oil in a large deep pot (big enough to fit all the sauce).
- When the oil is nice and hot, pour in the onion, celery and carrots and cook for about 4 minutes, until nice and translucent.
- Put the meat into the pot, and mix in well with the carrots, celery and onion. Be sure to separate the lumps of meat.
- Season your meat with a generous amount of salt (and pepper, if you like) and stir well
- Pour a generous amount of white wine into the pot (approximately one cup).
- IMPORTANT: Cook until the white wine has evaporated. Do this before adding the passata (tomato sauce).
- Pour the two bottles of passata into the pot (once emptied, fill the bottles half way, shake, and pour again, to ensure you get all the sauce).
- Depending on the thickness of your tomato sauce, you may need to add more water as this will simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours. So if it’s a bit thick, add half a bottle of water.
- Bring it to a simmer, then turn down the heat to low so that it can slowly cook over 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Regularly stir while ragu is slowly cooking, and after 1.5 to 2 hours, when it’s thickened up, it’s ready to serve with the pasta.