INGREDIENTS FOR RICE ‘BASE’
500g arborio rice
1 medium onion, chopped
1lt chicken stock
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons passata sauce
Half cup Parmesan cheese
INGREDIENTS FOR FILLING
Cup bolognese sauce
Half cup cooked peas
2 boiled eggs, diced
Half cup mozzarella cheese, cut into small pieces
2 slices of ham, chopped
INGREDIENTS EGG WASH / FRYING
2 cups bread crumbs
2 eggs, scrambled with half cup of milk
1 cup plain flour
METHOD FOR RICE BASE
1. Heat oil in large pot (large enough to hold 1lt stock)
2. Fry onion in oil until translucent (not browned)
3. Add rice and cook until edges are translucent
4. Add stock, stir into rice (allow rice to absorb all the stock)
5. Turn off heat, stir in butter, then passata sauce, and then Parmesan cheese
6. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. It’s important to now taste the rice mixture to ensure it’s full of flavour. This is your base!
7. On a tray, place some baking paper, and spread out the rice mixture to cool
FILLING THE RICE
8. Using the arancini mould, spray it will oil and then fill the base with rice, and then use the drill part to create a well.
9. Place each of the filling ingredients inside the well: tablespoon of bolognese, a few peas, a few pieces of the egg, mozzarella and ham.
10. Grab a small handful of rice mixture to close the well.
11. Repeat this process until all of the rice mixture is used up.
12. Place tray of arancini in fridge to cool
COVER THE ARANCINI IN BREADCRUMBS
13. Line up 3 bowls: (i) flour; (ii) egg and milk mixture; (iii) breadcrumbs
14. Place arancini in flour bowl, gently cover in flour, and then place into the egg wash, and then into the breadcrumbs.
15. Place all arancini on a tray, and cool in fridge before deep frying
DEEP FRYING THE ARANCINI
16. Heat vegetable oil in a domestic deep fryer (to 180 degrees), or a deep pot. You need enough oil to cover the arancini (or if it only covers half the arancini, keep turning it). over
17. When the oil is at temperature, place a number of arancini into the oil, and allow to cook until golden brown all over.
18. Repeat process until all are cooked, and enjoy while fresh and hot!
To see a longer, more detailed (10-minute) video of this recipe using the arancinotto device, click here.
To see a 5-minute version of this recipe where I (Fiona) use my hands to make the actual arancini, click here.